ADVISORY NEIGHBORHOOD COMMISSION 3E
TENLEYTOWN AMERICAN UNIVERSITY PARK
c/o Lisner Home 5425 Western Avenue, NW Washington, DC 20015
RESOLUTION REGARDING NOI TO CHANGE PARKING CONFIGURATION OF YUMA STREET
- After a single commissioner “made inquiries,” DDOT issued a Notice of Intent to add parking to both sides of Yuma.
- Issuing an NOI based on a single Commissioner’s inquiry is improper, and predictably polarized the neighborhood.
- Although we are unpersuaded at present that a significant need for parking exists on Yuma Street, we have heard from numerous neighbors about traffic safety concerns on that street, and implementation of traffic calming measures may be appropriate, taking into account any indirect effects such measures might have on neighboring streets.
- We understand that the usual, proper way to ask DDOT to evaluate traffic calming options, outside the context of a neighborhood study, is for residents by petition, or the ANC, to ask DDOT to conduct such a study.
NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED:
- ANC 3E urges DDOT to withdraw the NOI, without prejudice to residents or the ANC subsequently requesting a traffic calming study that would include the blocks at issue until the ANC, working with the community and in consultation with DDOT and other agencies, can formulate a recommendation regarding traffic calming issues.
The resolution passed by a vote of 5-0-0 at a properly noticed meeting held on November 8, 2012, at which a quorum was present, with Commissioners Bender, Frumin, Quinn, Serebin, and Sklover in attendance.
by Matthew Frumin