RESOLUTION OF SUPPORT FOR NOMINATION OF 4112-4118 CHESAPEAKE ST, NW, HLA #16-20
- The Tenleytown Historical Society (THS) has nominated four adjacent brownstone buildings at 4112-4118 Chesapeake St., NW (“Perna Houses”) for designation as historic landmarks.
- The Perna Houses, among other things, are examples of urbanization in Tenleytown near the turn of the last century, and represent the work of master stoneworkers whose work adorns several notable properties in DC.
- ANC 3E understands that no owner of the Perna Houses objects to designation, and the owner of three of the four houses affirmatively supports it.
- Where an owner does not object to or seeks designation, the owner can be understood as making a voluntary offer to dedicate some measure of control over their property to posterity for the public good.
- In such a case, ANC 3E does not believe it necessary to scrutinize the case for historicity of a nomination to the same extent it would scrutinize a nomination that an owner opposed.
- In this light, ANC 3E believes THS has made a sufficient showing of historicity for the ANC to support the nomination.
NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED:
1. ANC3E supports listing of 4112-4118 Chesapeake St., NW on the DC Inventory of Historic sites, and nomination of the properties to the National Register of Historic Places.
The resolution passed by a vote of __-__-__ at a properly noticed meeting held on February 9, 2017, at which a quorum was present, with Commissioners Bender, Hall, McHugh, Wallace, and Quinn in attendance.
by Jonathan Bender