RESOLUTION SUPPORTING PUBLIC SPACE APPLICATION BY GEORGETOWN DAY SCHOOL,
DDOT # 277056
- Georgetown Day School (GDS) applied for a special exception to relocate its lower and middle schools (LMS) to its current high school campus in Tenleytown. After multiple hearings, the ANC supported GDS’ application, and the Board of Zoning Administration (BZA) granted it.
- GDS and the ANC, with extensive input from the community at large, worked together for many months to arrive at a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) embodying a set of conditions that fairly balances the respective needs of the parties.
- Chief among those conditions were a set of trip goals, maturing into a hard-and-fast trip cap.
- In particular, GDS has agreed to limit trips during the AM peak period to 595 at full enrollment. This is an aggressive requirement for an institution such as GDS.
- The ANC and GDS further agreed to measures to disperse the impacts from these trips and to enhance pedestrian safety.
- Such measures include opening an additional entrance on River Road, reconfiguring 42nd Street near Ellicott Street, and new sidewalks and a bike lane and bike racks.
- The District Department of Transportation’s (DDOT) Public Space Committee (PSC) needs to approve such work in public space notwithstanding BZA’s approval of the work.
- We see nothing in the materials submitted or presented by GDS in conjunction with the above-referenced PSC application that is inconsistent with the BZA application we already supported.
- Accordingly, we see no reason to object to the instant application, and believe supporting it is in the public interest.
NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED:
- ANC 3E supports the application.
The resolution passed by a vote of __-__-__ at a properly noticed meeting held on March 15, 2018, at which a quorum was present, with Commissioners Bender, Ehrhardt, Hall, McHugh, and Quinn in attendance.
by Jonathan Bender